Monday, September 6, 2010

11 - Franziskaner: Weissbier ********

This is the second time I have tried to write about Franziskaner's Weissbier. The first time I began to write about it I got so caught up in the tasting that I ran out of time and forgot to write. Wiessbier is one of those drinks that all beer lovers should try. It is not the finest beer that I have tasted but it comes close. The cloudyness of this beer is an indication of the goodness and plainness of the recipe.

Franziskaner (the Munich Franciscans) began making beer at the beginning of the 14th century, they began making this weissbier at the beginning of the 16th century. It is an easy drinking beer and would go well with a smoked meat or salmon with a cheese with cracked pepper and herbs.

This beer is remarkable for its simplicity and near perfection. What else would you expect from followers of St Francis.

Next: I leave my comfort zone and travel to Asia to review the Lucky Drink Company's Lucky Beer. Lucky was reviewed by my good friend, Mike Escober who inspired me to take this little trip around the world, and while I trust Mike's opinion, I am keen to give it a try and form my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment